Re: Columns

From: Sue Sims <sjacct@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:02:50 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org
[x-posting removed]

Dr Jacques Steyn wrote:

> There is still no COLUMN (I'm not talking of a table column, but
> newspaper column) element in the W3C recommendations, so authors use the
> TABLE element to get the effect of columns.
> Style sheets and 'pseudo' columns.
> One could force columns in the following way, but none of the browsers
> support this fully yet.
IE4x and NN4x CSS columns can be simulated. See
http://css.nu/examples/css-columns.html
but...don't use Opera 3.5bx. Opera and I currently disagree about the
rendering of 3 columns with width of 33%, and Opera is winning. Steve
Traub has mostly won the Opera/2 columns battle with:
http://www1.shore.net/~straub/wprmultb.htm

> So, when can we expect an HTML COLUMN element?

It was my understanding that we wouldn't be expecting an HTML COLUMN
element; that we would instead be expecting an XML solution, since the
next HTML will be XMLish.

--
Sue Sims
http://css.nu/