Lynx capabilities

From: John T. Whelan <whelan@physics.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 09:58:45 -0600
To: www-html@w3.org
Cc: lynxdev@browser.org, serge@line.ru, walter@natural-innovations.com
>I think you can't do it anyway - LYNX is not support HTML as graphic
>browsers do it. It not support any "barocco" in HTML.
>It can only read text (content) and understand there is "form" and
>"hyprlink" and "title"  without any formatting.

	This is an understatement.  While I've never seen color
support from Lynx, the version I'm running (2.7.1 for Linux)
recognizes the EM, STRONG, B, I and U tags, and renders each of them
as underlined text to indicate the emphasis.  In addition, it marks up
the contents of the S, STRIKE and DEL tags [DEL: like this :DEL].
(INS is similarly supported.)

	It also renders a frameset as a series of links to the frame
contents (in addition to displaying the contents of the NOFRAMES tag),
and produces a menu of links associated with a client-side imagemap.
The table support could be better (I'm learning the issues involved by
writing a TABLE-to-PRE conversion script myself), but it does offer
limited support by inserting a line break at the end of each row and
collapsible space at the end of each cell.

	There is no stylesheet or client-side scripting support.

					John T. Whelan
					whelan@iname.com
					http://www.slack.net/~whelan/