" question

From: Cultimo <cultimo@tref.nl>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 98 10:54:35 +0200
To: <www-html@w3.org>
The special characters beginning with '&' are used to make it possible to
read one text in the HTML format on different platforms. When they are
not used and the text is presented as is, strange things can happen with
signs that should be represented with '&euml;', '&agrave;', etc. The
quotation mark sign is also part of these special signs ('&quot;').
Probably this is done to differentiate between the quotation mark used in
html codes (<a href="my.htm">). But in my experience the code and the
sign are interchangeable . '&quot;' gives the same result as the actual
quotation mark (") on Mac and Windows in several browsers. I don't knwo
how Unix/linux based machines handle it.

Why then hold on to it? Because of future version of browsers? Because of
future platforms that use a different ascii code.

So: is it valid (probably not) and if so: will it remain valid to use the
actual quotation mark instead of &quot; in texts?

Jeroen Goulooze