Re: HTML 4.0 in Netscape and Explorer

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Rob wrote:

> Something else about the article: I'd hardly consider HTML 4.0 the last
> version. There may eventually be a 4.x or a 5.0.
>
> XML won't completely replace HTML. For generic documents HTML is fine.

The general trend on the W3C's mailing lists is that HTML is now frozen, and
any talk of new features is merely pushed over to the XML forums. There
might be a "cleanup" spec, possibly denoted 4.x, but the strict DTD covers a
more-or-less ideal HTML language specification (if you add CSS2, W3-DOM,
ECMAScript and RDF, perhaps, but still). I strongly doubt there will be
another specification; all that will happen is that people will promptly
forget that the deprecated elements ever existed once the newer technologies
are implemented.

-- Stephanos Piperoglou -- sp249@cam.ac.uk -------------------
All I want is a little love and a lot of money. In that order.
------------------------- http://www.thor.cam.ac.uk/~sp249/ --