Re: HTML 4.0 in Netscape and Explorer

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Jonathan Rosenne wrote:

> I miss any reference to the internationalization elements in HTML 4: The
> handling of various character sets, DIR and LANG.

Sorry for taking so long to respond; I've had to wade through hundreds of
messages on this article.

The main reason i18n issues where kept out of the article are, firstly, that
they're mostly unimplemented (DIR for one is simply not there for either
browser) and secondly because, since documentation is sparse, all of the
compatibility tests I did for the article where tested by myself, and I
don't have the resources to check for Internationalization; I don't have
Unicode fonts, can't read or write Arabic, or anything else. I know very
little of internationalization and hence can only make a passing appraisal
of the browsers' capabilities. A lot of people have complained about this,
and notice that it is prominently pointed out in the Introduction that this
area is not covered. Perhaps if I can find an expert to help me with the
research, I can update the article to include i18n information.

By the way, if you liked the article, you might also be interested in the
permanent column on HTML and CSS I'll start writing on webreference.com
starting May 20th. You might want to visit webreference.com then to check it
out.

-- Stephanos Piperoglou -- sp249@cam.ac.uk -------------------
All I want is a little love and a lot of money. In that order.
------------------------- http://www.thor.cam.ac.uk/~sp249/ --