HTML Architecture (Was: Future of HTML)

Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor (roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:56:44 -0500 (EST)

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:56:44 -0500 (EST)
From: "Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor" <roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: HTML Architecture (Was: Future of HTML)

I'd like to add that my motivation for wanting an HTML Architecture comes
from a desire to allow authors to create their own entities for client-side
includes.  For example, I want the following to be legal HTML:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd" [
<!ENTITY header SYSTEM "http://www.example.com/header.inc">
<!ENTITY footer SYSTEM "http://www.example.com/footer.inc">
]>
<HTML lang=en-CA>

<TITLE>Sample</TITLE>

&header;

<!-- main body here -->

&footer;

I'm sure this has been discussed before.

The advantages of client-side includes over server-side includes include
better caching, less load on the server, and less network traffic.

An HTML architecture is a more general solution to a more general problem,
but I'd at least like to see this ability for client-side includes in the
next version of HTML.

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"