HTML Architecture (Was: Future of HTML)

Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor (
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:56:44 -0500 (EST)

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:56:44 -0500 (EST)
From: "Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor" <>
Subject: HTML Architecture (Was: Future of HTML)

I'd like to add that my motivation for wanting an HTML Architecture comes
from a desire to allow authors to create their own entities for client-side
includes.  For example, I want the following to be legal HTML:

"" [
<!ENTITY header SYSTEM "">
<!ENTITY footer SYSTEM "">
<HTML lang=en-CA>

<!-- main body here -->

I'm sure this has been discussed before.

The advantages of client-side includes over server-side includes include
better caching, less load on the server, and less network traffic.

An HTML architecture is a more general solution to a more general problem,
but I'd at least like to see this ability for client-side includes in the
next version of HTML.

Russell O'Connor
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"