RE: <a href="mailto:email address">

From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 12:24:31 -0700
To: "Larry Masinter" <masinter@parc.xerox.com>, "David Zampese" <davez@istand.com>, <www-html@w3.org>
Funny, just this weekend I was reading the Lynx 2.8 changes document,
which contains some interesting comments about the extended mailto... ;->

Personally, I would just write a CGI in Perl which calls sendmail.
Of course that means you don't get to use Eudora to send the mail,
but if it's such a prearranged thing, do you really need to? The
only thing I could think of was to keep a record of the email, but
that can be handled by the CGI sending back a BCC. And in fact, I
just last night finished writing such a CGI, which was borne out of
being fed up with UCE resulting from mailto-harvesting WWW spambots.
My new CGI hides email addresses -- they go to sendmail, not HTML.
Next is to update all my pages (it's at times like this I wish my
web site did not have *quite* so many pages... ;-) and then to write
the readme file (yes, I will make it available).

-Walter
 Tired of spam, and doing something about it.