Table Scrolling

From: Lakshmi Raj <lakshmi@replicon.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:02:36 -0600
To: "www-html@w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>
Hi everyone,

I have a huge table and I figured how to make the table scroll using
Javascript in Navigator4 and DIV tag with overflow: scroll in IE4. But
is there a way to freeze either a row or a column(excel like) while the
table scrolls. Obviously, I want the top most heading row to be frozen
when the table scrolls vertically and the left most column to be frozen
when the table scrolls horizantally.

I know that this cannot be done with HTML 4.0, but is there a way to do
this in HTML 5.0?

Looking forward to suggestions.
Thanks.
Lakshmi.