Re: footnotes

On 8 Jun 98, Alan G. Isaac wrote:

> After hunting around the W3 archives, I was unable to determine the current
> status of the footnote tag. I was disturbed to see it is not in the list
> of html 4 elements.

It was proposed in HTML 3.0, removed in HTML 3.2 to reflect "current practice".
It's a nice idea markup-wise, but at this point it's too late to add a radically new
element to HTML.

The proposal for HTML 3.0 didn't degrade well (the footnote would appear inside the
text where it occurs for browsers that do not recognize it) and similar funcationality
can already be achieved using standard links. With scripting or XSL one can create
fancy pop-up notes too.

> i. Is it generally accepted that html should offer explicit footnote and endnote tags,

Is it generally accepted? If it were, it would have been added already. (Nitpicking note:
the difference between footnotes and endnotes is a style issue.)

Rob