Re: footnotes

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 08:03:45 -0400
To: Stephanos Piperoglou <stephanos@internet.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
At 03:43 AM 09/06/98 -0400, Stephanos Piperoglou wrote:
>In the case of footnotes, there are some possible cheats. In visual
>media there is no difficulty since footnotes and endnotes will *always*
>be at the end of the document - no pages, hence no page footers, hence
>no footnotes.

This doesn't have to be the case.  A windowing browser could render the
footnote on request as a small popup window.  I find with print media that
footnotes and endnotes detract from a document's readability by forcing me
to continuously switch my reading focus from a passage to the end of the
page or document.  I think we can do better on windowing browsers, if we
have a real footnote element.

--
Liam Quinn