Re: The color of inclusions via OBJECT (was RE: OBJECT, inheritance, and rendering)

From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 16:18:20 -0700
To: <braden@endoframe.com>, "'Simon Richter'" <geier@psi5.com>
Cc: "'Todd Fahrner'" <fahrner@pobox.com>, <www-style@w3.org>, <www-html@w3.org>
[cc list getting long... someone say "when!"]

At 3:44p -0700 07/30/98, Braden N. McDaniel wrote:
>A possible solution to this is to change the initial value of "color" from
>"implementation-defined" to simply guarantee that the initial color will
>contrast with the base background color. This could be guaranteed
>numerically, yes?

Well, algorithmically. I once wrote a function to simply get the "opposite"
color numerically which worked for most colors, but for those whose opposite
is almost the same (what's the opposite of 50%?), the foreground and background
colors were difficult to contrast. There would have to be some pre-decided
"opposites" for colors in the middle between light and dark.

-Walter
 "What's the difference between a duck?"

 "Both legs are shorter than the other."

  Walter Ian Kaye <boo@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>        Menlo Park, CA
  Perl on Unix, AppleScript on MacOS, at the nation's first WWW server.
  http://www.slac.stanford.edu/grp/techpubs/people/walter.html