RE: <a href="mailto:email address">

From: Jukka Korpela <jkorpela@cc.hut.fi>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 11:01:29 +0300 (EET DST)
To: www-html@w3.org
On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, David Norris wrote:

> It is browser specific in that it would only work in HTML.

That's an interesting new definition for "browser specific".

> A URI is designed to be used outside of HTML, by itself.

It should also work within HTML, shouldn't it? And I still haven't
seen an explanation of why one needs URIs for _messages_ or message
templates. (See my previous message.) And if they would be needed,
a new scheme should be designed just for them. (See my previous message.)

> If then current mailto spec doesn't work on a browser then I am
> inclined to find one that works.  I am not one to complain that a 4 year old
> program doesn't work with my new way of doing things.  I just tend to
> complain for a minute and fix it.

That's your choice as a user. It's a different thing to make choices
as an HTML author (who decides whether to use ?Subject or not), or to
suggest something in a discusssion about the development of the HTML

By the way, as I explained some messages ago, the "current mailto spec"
is in RFC 1738 (and it specifically forbids appending anything to the
E-mail address), despite the inappropriate "normative" reference to a working
draft in the HTML 4.0 spec.

> Since this is only a working draft, we shouldn't beat our heads over it :)

It is a working draft which is often referred to as if it were official.
And the use of the ?Subject hack is _very frequently_ suggested, without
any word of caution. There is a reason why this topic is discussed in
some length in the WDG HTML FAQ, at

HTML specifications should very clearly specify what are the normative
specifications for URIs as used in HTML (which might of course be a subset
of an approved specification for URIs in general--hardly a superset).

Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/ or http://yucca.hut.fi/yucca.html