RE: <a href="mailto:email address">

From: David Norris <kg9ae@geocities.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:48:04 -0500
To: <www-html@w3.org>
>That is a very browser-specific method, and URLs should be "handleable"
>by other kinds of apps (like Email, Usenet, etc.). The extended mailto

This is an important factor to remember.  URIs are not specific to HTML or
even a web browser.  They can be, and are, used anywhere.  32-bit Windows
uses URIs everywhere.  Large portions of the Win32 OSs are based on URIs.
You can enter a URI at a command line and invoke the handler related to that
URI-type in Windows.  Try bringing up a run dialog and typing
http://www.w3.org/ or mailto:someone@somewhere.com  You can enter "start
http://www.w3.org/" from a command console.  URIs are used to store certain
information in the system's registry and/or convey that information among
applications.

classid, mailto, http, mid are only a hint of the URIs used in Win32.  You
can add a URI handler as easily as a MIME or File type handler in Win32.
Even Windows shortcuts can use URIs.

I wouldn't discount the idea because some browsers don't support it.  If we
said that every time something new came up then we would be in terrible
shape.  I still would like to know which browsers supposedly break on the
extended mailto URIs.  I haven't found any on Windows that break, so far.  I
have just about every browser that can run on Windows.

,David Norris

Illusionary Web - http://illusionary.dyn.ml.org/ <-- 02:00 - 10:00 GMT
Video/Audio Phone - callto:illusionary.dyn.ml.org
Page via mail - 412039@pager.mirabilis.com
ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039
E-Mail - kg9ae@geocities.com