layer borders

From: Brian Medendorp <medendob@lahs.losalamos.k12.nm.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 11:26:33 -0600 (MDT)
To: www-html@w3.org
	I am trying to make a layer that has text in it, with a backgound
color and a border. The problem is that it puts in this annoying space
between the background color and the border. I want the background color
to extent to the beginning of the border, but I get this white space that
I can't get rid of. I have tried seeting the margin and padding values,
but they won't fix the problem. This is the code that I am using:
<HTML>
  <HEAD>
    <TITLE></TITLE>
    <STYLE TYPE="text/css">