Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

James Green (
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:43:09 +0000 (GMT)

From: James Green <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:43:09 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:36:07 +0100 Rasmus Kaj <> wrote:

>  >> Oops. I meant: Why use the image at all?
>  JG> Because until a browser fully supporting style sheets comes into the
>  JG> majority of people's lives, backwards compatibility is a major issue!!
> Yes, but there are two kinds of backwards kompatibility. Either you
> can try to make your pages _look_ identical in old browsers as in the
> new ones, or you can koncentrate on the content, and make sure the
> page is still readable and looks nice (but maybe not identical) in the
> old browsers, and looks really good in new browsers.
> The first kind ('visual identity') means lots of tables and font-tags,
> the second means correct and clean html + style-sheets.
> While 'visual identity' might still be what many sites prefer, it is
> only a matter of workarounds and ugly hacks and is of no theoretical
> interesst ... So I don't think it should be a major issue on this list.

*Actually*, I am now designing and programming sites to the HTML 4.0
transitional standard. I do not use font tags except for colour
(occassional) but do use TABLEs, because it is such a high factor in
current presentation standards.

I agree that we shouldn't be using graphics and such like to mimic
advanced techologies on older browsers, but that is hardly the point of
the original thread.

James Green

Term e-mail:   |   Home e-mail: