Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

Daniel Dardailler (danield@w3.org)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:16:14 +0100

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
To: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:16:14 +0100
Subject: Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

> I must say that I'm surprised to see your suggestion that the role of ALT
> and TITLE be switched.  All current browser implementations of which I'm
> aware treat ALT as an image replacement and TITLE as an image supplement
> (with the exception of the ALT-as-tooltip implementation).  Surely an
> image's replacement should be *functional* and its supplement
> *descriptive*, no?

I'd prefer not to argue on two different lists at the same time so I'd
appreciate if people really interested in this matter would join the
WAI GL list where I think the discussion should really happen.

mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request?Subject=subscribe

(and then you can unsubscribe if you want)

Liam, I'm forwarding your message to GL to start a thread there.

Thanks.