Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:47:21 +0000 Colin F Reynolds
<colin@the-net-effect.com> wrote:

> I refuse to clutter up www-html with this, but I couldn't let it pass.
>
> In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.980123123225.727B-
> 100000@serdlc27.essex.ac.uk>, Green J M K <jmkgre@essex.ac.uk> writes
> >> For instance, consider a biography of Lincoln. The role of a picture
> >> might be just decorative, or orientative; it's sort of normal to
> >> put a picture into a biography. In such a case, using ALT="" is best,
> >
> >Try using a browser that has images switched off. Seeing "" might just
> >raise curiosity.
>
> ROFL!
>
> For a while, I was beginning to think that you had spent some time
> researching this issue, as some others have, instead of just spouting
> your mouth off.
>
> FYI, ALT="" is generally rendered as _nothing_ since "" is an empty
> string.
>
> Are you really this clueless, or are you trolling?

The *only* reason I said that was because I'd never tried it before
(which is why I gave the warning).

The fact of the matter is that I've never *needed* to use ALT=""
because I've always come up with a reasonable ALT description quickly.
I used "" because I *thought* it may produce the smallest possible
on-screen information area, and therefore useful to the original
thread-creator.

Apologies for not having tried this beforehand, but at least I gave a
warning.

BTW, what exactly would **you** suggest?

Regards,

James Green

Term e-mail: jmkgre@essex.ac.uk   |   Home e-mail: jg@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk
Homepage: http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk