Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Alex Fabrikant wrote:

> <snip prior discussion>
> >Look, I really don't see your problem:
> > *Incorrect usage*> >   ALT="There would normally be a picture here..."
> > *Correct usage*:
> >   ALT="Pic: Abraham Lincoln"
> >(IMO)
> >Now, following these guidelines, where is your problem???

> What about ALT="-------------------------" for a separator bar
> or ALT="+" for a bullet? I've seen those used a *lot*, and use them myself regularly. This usage complies exactly with the intention of the ALT attribute - to provide user with information of what the image would've contained if it were loaded (and no, ALT="Bullet" is not the best solution IMHO, since, for one thing, it takes up an unnecessarily large room for a bullet)

For unimportant pictures, why not ALT="[Pic]" or even ALT="" (I'm not
sure that nothingness will validate)?

Also, for separator bars, why not use <HR> and maybe include classes for
CSS? Much faster.

BTW, "+" won't take up much room on the screen, so unless you're using a
dodgy small screen-mode, not much will be over-written.

Personally, for small gfx, I either use HTML (e.g. <HR CLASS="1"> or for
a ball ALT="*" - I don't see any problems, and no-one has yet complained
to me.