Re: Suggestion: ALTHREF attribute

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, John Wright wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 1998 at 07:35:05PM -0500, Liam Quinn wrote:
> > At 01:43 PM 15/01/98 +0000, James Green wrote:
> > ><MIRROR HREF="http://www.myname.com.au/">
> > What about
> > <LINK REL="Alternate" HREF="http://www.myname.com.au/" TYPE="text/html">

Actually, these address other problems than the one I presented and
for which I suggested ALTHREF. First, the LINK REL="Alternate" construct
is fine but it defines a relationship between the document where it occurs
and another document (and I suppose the intended meaning was that the
other would be real alternative, such as translation or abridged
version, as regards to content or form, not just another address where
another _copy_ of the document resides). Second, I'm not sure what
a MIRROR element (or LINK REL="Mirror") would achieve in practice.

I was specifically thinking of links created using the A element and
simply providing alternative addresses (of copies of essentially the
same document). The same idea might be applied to a LINK element, too,
whether its REL="Alternate" link or something else.

> Also,
> <A HREF="http://www.place.co.uk/" ALSO="http://www.place.com.au">Place</A>
> would work just as well.
>
> > ?  No extension to HTML needed.
>
> This too.

Actually it looks just like my proposal except for the name of the new
attribute. (ALSO is certainly more legible than ALTHREF. I just thought
we might need to stick to the classical obscure naming style of HREF, :-)

But naturally it _would_ be an extension to HTML, although not a very
radical one, just adding an optional attribute.

Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/