Server reply formatting (newbie)

Jacob W. Anderson (
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:13:47 -0500 (EST)

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:13:47 -0500 (EST)
From: "Jacob W. Anderson" <>
To: <>
Subject: Server reply formatting (newbie)

I'm trying to connect my java http client through the Apache 1.2
proxy to my proprietary http/1.1 server.  I can connect just fine,
but my reponse from the server doesn't seem to be compatible with
the apache 1.2 proxy.  Essentially, I am writing the following to
the response stream:

  HTTP/1.1 code status<CRLF>
  <59 bytes of octets>

Am I missing some important detail here?  It seems to me that the
proxy server doesn't know that the end of the stream has been reached.
Aside from the content-length, is there some other method which is
expected by servers to indicate EOF (end-of-transmission rather).

--Jacob W. Anderson (