Any way to input numerical/integer data in form?

From: Scott Calbert <SCalber@doa.state.la.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:52:58 -0500 (EST)
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Wondering if anyone has a trick for inputing data that exists as an integer
via a web form without having to go through conversion measures after entry?
Wouldn't an INPUT TYPE="number" or "integer" tag be nice so you get the
correct type of data from the beginning of the process?  I need to do
sorts/calculations on numbers input from the web, but it treats them as text
data, and I'm thusfar unable to find a successful conversion procedure.
Thanks for the help.