Dewey Hard Drive/LAN/WAN Organization

From: Scott Roberts <scott@heelspurs.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:21:01 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org
Thanks for the responses.  The mentioned Google search engine is great
http://google.stanford.edu .  I think it would be better if it could be
combined with Dewey.  They could have their robot AUTOMATICALLY generate a
Dewey directory and sub-sort it on link popularity (and/or proxy server hit
popularity). Instead of (or in addition to) meta tags, I would prefer to see
it at the bottom of the page with a link to a site that has instructions.
The idea then could be a "grass roots" movement.  But combining search
methods (Keyword, URL popularity, and Dewey) even without further help from
search engines would help prevent spamming.

The following is a detailed account of a guy who finally decided to use
Dewey Decimal to organize his hard drive:
http://ivory.lm.com/~mundie/CyberDewey/organizing_computers.html

Here's his bookmarks organized by Dewey:
http://ivory.lm.com/~mundie/DDHC/DDH.html

The largest Dewey organization of the web I could find (there were only 3)
is http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/wwlib/browse.html
This page was getting 40,000 hits a day back in Nov 97.

One letter to an editor of a magazine published could help it snowball.  Or
an email to Google.