RE: Hyperlinks in OBJECT inclusions

Jukka Korpela wrote:
> > The
> > presenting document
> > should remain when links from the presented document are followed.

Braden McDaniel responded:

> This interpretation places the inclusion in a decidedly subordinate position
> to the host document. I'm not convinced that this is in keeping with the
> design goals of OBJECT. Consider:
>
> host.html:
> 	<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN">
> 	<HEAD>
> 	<TITLE>Host Document</TITLE>
> 	</HEAD>
> 	<BODY>
> 	<OBJECT DATA="inclusion.html" TYPE="text/html" WIDTH="320"
> 	HEIGHT="240"><A HREF="http://www.w3.org">We're off to see the
> 	wizard!</A></OBJECT>
> 	</BODY>
>
> inclusion.html:
> 	<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN">
> 	<HEAD>
> 	<TITLE>Included Document</TITLE>
> 	</HEAD>
> 	<BODY>
> 	<P><A HREF="http://www.w3.org">We're off to see the wizard!</A>
> 	</BODY>
>
> Is it reasonable that these links should behave totally differently?

	Yes, for the same reason the links behave differently in

frameset.html:
	<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">
	<HTML>
	<HEAD>
	<TITLE>Host Document</TITLE>
	</HEAD>
        <FRAMESET>
        <FRAME SRC="leftframe.html">
        <FRAME SRC="inclusion.html">
        </FRAMESET>
        <NOFRAMES>
	<BODY>
 	<P><A HREF="http://www.w3.org">We're off to see the wizard!</A>
 	</BODY>
        </NOFRAMES>
	</HTML>

Where inclusion.html is as before.  The behaviors of the two
alternatives are not the same, since the frame-replacement behavior
cannot be achieved by browsers that see the non-frame option.  IMHO,
the same should go for the HTML OBJECT.

					John T. Whelan
					whelan@iname.com
					http://www.slack.net/~whelan/