Re: Hyperlinks in OBJECT inclusions

Jukka Korpela wrote:

>Let us first formulate a question at the presentation-independent level:
>Assume document A contains an OBJECT element which refers, via the DATA
>attribute, to an HTML document B, which contains a link (say, via A HREF)
>to a document C. Is that link from A to C or from B to C?
>
>Obviously, from B to C. It's difficult to find any reason to think
>otherwise, especially with regard to the following:
>"An embedded document is entirely independent of the document in which it
>is embedded. For instance, relative URIs within the embedded document
>resolve according to the base URI of the embedded document, not that of
>the main document. An embedded document is only rendered within another
>document (e.g., in a subwindow); it remains otherwise independent."
>( http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#h-13.5 )
>
>But one may still ask whether it is an acceptable _implementation of
>links_ that when a link in an embedded document is followed, the
>target document replaces the entire current content (the embedding
>document).

If the document is in a separate window, nested or not, it certainly seems
to me that the content of the window is what should be replaced. To say
otherwise argues that the nested window is not independent.

Further, as you noted, the link is from B to C. In effect, the embedding
document is _presenting_ the embedded document to the reader. The links can
be considered extensions of the presented document. The presenting document
should remain when links from the presented document are followed.

David Perrell