Naming documents/frames

From: Nicholas Sydenham <nsydenham@dera.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 17:02:25 +0100 (BST)
To: www-html@w3.org
The current HTML RFC has the capability to name frames within a frameset for
the purpose of targeting URLs. There doesn't seem to be any mechanism for
naming an entire document or frameset.

For instance, I could bring up a document whose purpose was to act as a
navigation guide to a site. I want to click on a link, and the relevant page
appears in the main browser window. Now unless I create a frameset with one
frame (ie rows="100%,*") and name it, there is no way to target the URLs to the
main browser window.

In addition, if I have several documents open in several different windows, how
do I target those?

I propose the addition of a name attribute to either the html tag, or somewhere
within the head's meta data.

Comments?
---
Nicholas Sydenham <nsydenham@dera.gov.uk>
DERA Malvern
Subtlety is the art of saying what you think...
and getting out of the way before it is understood.
The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.