RE: OBJECT, inheritance, and rendering

Okay...

> >From section 13.5 of the HTML 4.0 recommendation*: "An
> embedded document is
> entirely independent of the document in which it is embedded.
> For instance,
> relative URLs within the embedded document resolve according
> to the base URL
> of the embedded document, not that of the main document.
> Also, an embedded
> document does not inherit style information from the main document. An
> embedded document is only rendered within another document (e.g., in a
> subwindow); it remains otherwise independent."
>
> If the embedded document is entirely independent, its
> background should not
> be affected by the embedding document's stylesheet.

I suppose you're right. If we accept that there is an implementation-defined
base background for the viewport per the CSS2 spec (which seems to be the
case), *and* that the embedded document has its own viewport (which seems to
be the implication of the wording in section 13.5 of the HTML4 spec, when
relating it to the CSS2 spec), then I agree with your conclusion: that the
default background of the included document should be the
implementation-defined base background.

Thanks for helping me sort this out. I'm inclined to think the situation
could be made a bit clearer if explicit mention were given in the CSS spec
to the existence of an implementation-defined base background, in addition
to the clarifications you mention.

> * <http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-html40/struct/objects.html#include-files>

Note: That URL refers to the Proposed Recommendation. The matching section
in the Recommendation can be found here:

	<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#h-13.5>

I still perceive the problem I mentioned with monochromatic inclusions (such
as text files). Section 13.5 of the HTML spec appears to speak only to the
inclusion of other HTML files. Besides, I maintain that it would be a Good
Idea to treat monochromatic inclusions uniformly where color is concerned.

Braden