sound in IE and N

From: Cultimo <jeroen-g@bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 98 20:42:52 +0200
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Was experimenting with sound and sound formats. The strangest thing
happened.

Could get a .WAV booming from my  speakers on a MAC in Netscape 4, but
allas on a PC in IE3 the machine crashed after someone had to download it
from the site. I thougth WAV was the windows format? Can it get any
stranger?

Found a sugestion from someone. Place a <bgsound src="sound.wav"
autostart="true"> together with a <object><embed src="sound.wav"
autostart="true"></object>

The <bgsound> tag makes the IE play the sound and the <EMBED> tags make
Netscape play the sound while the <object></object> tags force newer
versions of IE to ignore the <EMBED> tag (because otherwise the sound is
played two times mixed)

Can somebody tell me if this is right, or is there an other solution?

Secondly, I converted it also to sun Audio 16 bit 11 Mhz with SoundApp,
though someone stated it is only possible to play 8mhz .AU files. Will my
11 mhz .au files be played like a 8MHZ in older browsers??
Jeroen Goulooze