Re: include in html

On 22 Apr 1998, Peter Flynn wrote:

>    I don't understand why there's no instruction to include a file
>
> This is a FAQ. SGML provides a very easy way to do this, but the
> browser authors never bothered to implement it,

Since any HTML that tried to use system entities to perform transclusions
would be invalid HTML, why should they bother.

Section B.1 of the HTML 4.0 specs says,
``For reasons of interoperability, authors must not "extend" HTML through
the available SGML mechanisms (e.g., extending the DTD, adding a new set
of entity definitions, etc.).''

As I've said before on this mailing list, I feel this aspect of the specs
should be changed.

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"