w-index: Layer Rotation

From: Kevin Swarts <swarts@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 13:41:22 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org
I just subscribed to the list, so this might have already been covered,
but what about an HTML/CSS implementation of a w-index. The w-index will
tell the browser what degree of angle the layer is, in relation to the
browser. So a w-index:+45 will rotate it 45 degrees to the left.

I came about this on a project that requires a line to be drawn from a
central point to a point on an object which is dropped in a random
position (drag & drop). If it was to be a straight line from Point A to
Point B, then I would have had to create 180 lines (images), and then
determine what degree the object B is from object A. Not easy, nor is it
a very good way to do it. So I was forced to use only horizonatal and
vertical lines, which requires only one pixel, but multiple layers.

Of course some people could use the same thing with a timer to create a
rotation. This would be yet another way to lessen the need of animated
gifs.

Let me know what you think.

That's just my opinion,
Kevin