Re: implementation of FIRST-LETTER - possible problem

Chris Croome wrote:
> I realize that neither NN4 or MSIE4 have actually
> implemented the FIRST-LETTER tag (for large dropcap effects)
> - I'm very concerned (based on current support for CSS...)
> that they might not do it in the best way.

Please use proper terminology. First-letter is a 'pseudo-element'. Since it is
not a real element, it cannot be tagged.

> 1)	When the first paragraph is a quote, e.g. "In my
> experience, browser support for CSS is..." In this case BOTH
> the " and the first letter should be counted at the
> FIRST-LETTER. Will this be the case?

2.4 or the recommendation says it is. But it also says that "When the paragraph
starts with other punctuation (e.g. parenthesis and ellipsis points) or other
characters that are normally not considered letters (e.g. digits and
mathematical symbols), 'first-letter' pseudo-elements are usually ignored."

Instead of 'first-letter', why not use SPAN to style the characters you want
special treatment on?

David Perrell