Re: Question on DFN

Peter Flynn (pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie)
29 Sep 1997 14:18:17 +0100

Date: 29 Sep 1997 14:18:17 +0100
From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Question on DFN

   Does anyone have an example of how DFN is used in a document?

The same way as any other index/glossary-making markup. I used to use
it a lot when it was supported by Mosaic (maybe it still is) to
indicate the "first-usage" of technical terms, because it conveniently
went into bold italic, and could be pulled out of a doc by a script to
make an index. Now that CSS has become a reality I might start again...

It's just another example of an enormously useful element being
ignored because it only does a useful job, instead of flashing lights
or sounding the klaxon.

///Peter