Re: HTML4.0 draft: comments re: inclusion of frames

Arnoud (galactus@htmlhelp.com)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:58:02 +0200

From: galactus@htmlhelp.com (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:58:02 +0200
Subject: Re: HTML4.0 draft: comments re: inclusion of frames

In article <l03110703b03b60cebdd5@[192.168.1.117]>,
Jordan Reiter <jreiter@mail.slc.edu> wrote:
> Has there ever been ISO HTML?  (I think perhaps, but I'm not sure) In any

There was a message on this list some 6 months ago, which gave a
location for a DTD for ISO-HTML. Unfortunately I didn't save it,
but (from memory) it was a lot more structured, very rigidly, and
without any of the presentational stuff from HTML 3.2.

> case, before W3C was charged to the task, IETF was, and they (from many
> accounts) did a lousy job of it, taking far too long.  I agree that it's
> about time some markup was available for MATH functions, but I think the
> general consensus is that XML, which will eventually become widespread,

I don't see how you can do math with XML. You need to assign a specific
rendering to markup, and this goed beyond "red 24 pt Arial with a 3cm
left margin".

This is somewhat similar to the FN element from HTML 3.0. It was
suggested that this be rendered as a pop-up note, but is there *any*
way to define "pop-up" in DSSSL, for example?

--
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>