Re: HTML4.0 draft: comments re: inclusion of frames (fwd)

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Dave Carter wrote:

> But think how fantastically useful it would be to be able to drop an
> image, or even a piece of text, into a form.
>
> Dave Carter

In principle user agents could do this with HTML 3.2 using
the file upload mechanism and <input type=file>. I had hoped
we could generalize TEXTAREA but found little interest in
going ahead with this from vendors.

HTML 4.0 forms are also still rather weak as compared to 4GL
systems. For instance you can't provide a simple order entry
form with the capability to insert new rows into a list of
line items. People have done this using plugins or Java, but
this approach acts as a replacement for HTML forms, without
the declarative representation needed for rendering on a
wide range of browser devices and media.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2521 (office) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)