Re: HTML4.0 draft: comments re: inclusion of frames (fwd)

jptxs (
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:12:49 -0400

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:12:49 -0400
To: Jordan Reiter <>
From: jptxs <>
Cc: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet),
Subject: Re: HTML4.0 draft: comments re: inclusion of frames (fwd)

At 04:48 PM 9/9/97 -0500, Jordan Reiter wrote:
>At 12:37 PM -0500 1997-09-09, Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet wrote:
>>In article <>,
>>jptxs <> wrote:
>>> not bowing to the reality of how this process is carried out is not
>>> productive.
>>The problem here is that "reality" mostly means "Whatever Netscape
>>comes up with", as far as new HTML extensions are concerned. Given
>>their history of strange extensions, that's not really a good way
>>to work on a new standard.
>Oh, I don't know--I think Marc Andreessen and/or Netscape Inc. came up with
>some pretty clever HTML ideas.  You know, some obscure elements like:...
>All browser makers are guilty of creating elements in order to further the
>functionality or visuality of HTML.  Netscape just happened to come up with

I basically agree with the both of you in theory--extensions, at least
'clever', i.e. useful when/if implamented, has been Netscape's ball game.
my point is that  lamenting that here, in a discussion of standards, is
counterproductive.  no matter what the source of a proposed element or
extension is, it should simply be considered as either useful or not,
within the purposes of the language or not, and then either approved [by
W3C, not us, of course :)] or not.

Jordan brought up the example of <MULTICOL>.  when this first came out, i
could've given a rat's ass who proposed it--i was excited.  alas it never
came to be, but not because it came from Netscape--because it was not in
the best interests of HTML to go down the layout path.

oh, and Jordan, every ounce of irony is intended :)

"'s greatest labor so far has been to
 reach agreement about very many things and
 to submit to a *law of agreement*--
	regardless of whether these things
                         are true or false."