Re: ONMOUSEOVER vs. ONMOUSEMOVE

E. Stephen Mack wrote:

> In the HTML 4.0 draft for scripts [1], there is this description
> of two intrinsic events:
>
> >onmouseover = script
> >     The onmouseover event occurs when the pointing device is moved over
> >     an element. This attribute may be used with most elements.
>
> The description of onmousemove, directly afterwards, is identical:
>
> >onmousemove = script
> >     The onmousemove event occurs when the pointing device is moved over
> >     an element. This attribute may be used with most elements.
>
> Is there any semantic difference between these two events?  If not, the
> spec should say so, and I wonder why both events are included.  If there
> is a different, the spec should define it.
>
> [1] scripts.html#h-9.2.1.4

You're right this is confusing. I changed this to:

The onmouseover event occurs when the pointing device gets over an
element. This attribute may be used with most elements.

The onmousemove event occurs when the pointing device is moved while it
is over an element. This attribute may be used with most elements.

--
Arnaud trying to catch up with his email...