Re: "Umlaut" in Button and ALT

Chris Maden (crism@ora.com)
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 10:42:34 -0400

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 10:42:34 -0400
From: Chris Maden <crism@ora.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: "Umlaut" in Button and ALT

[Volker Kroll]
> BTW: are there browsers out there which cannot display the
> alphanumeric umlauts?

By this, I assume you mean numeric character references, like &#252;
for &uuml;.  My experience is that most Mac browsers display numeric
character references in the *system* character set, which is not the
same as ISO 8859-1.  I know that this causes e-with-acute (&#233;) to
be displayed as e-with-grave on Mac Netscape 2.0, whereas &eacute;
works.  After midnight tonight EDT (-0400) you can look at
<URL:http://www.oreilly.com/people/staff/crism/entities.html> to see
how numeric character references and non-standard named entities look
in your Web browser.  (Lynx recognizes a surprising number!)

HTH,
Chris