Re: stupid multiple definitions for the TYPE attribute

Joel N. Weber II (devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu)
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 21:23:39 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 21:23:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To: estephen@emf.net
CC: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: stupid multiple definitions for the TYPE attribute

   No, the current draft of HTML 4.0 does *NOT* allow the TYPE attribute
   with most elements.  Instead, you are advised to use a META
   element to indicate the default style sheet language (see below).

   >Here's an example where it specifies the style sheet language:
   >   <P type="text/css" style="font-size: 12pt; color: fuschia">Aren't
   >   style sheets wonderful?

   No, according to the HTML 4.0 draft [1], TYPE is not a valid attribute
   for the P element.

Really?  take a look at
http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/present/styles.html#adef-style

a couple paragraphs down from that, we see this example, *in the current
version*

<P type="text/css" style="font-size: 12pt; color: fuschia">Aren't
style sheets wonderful?

So, you're either misreading the spec, or it's inconsitent with itself.