Re: Linking privacy statements using <link rel=Privacy...>

On  5 Sep 97, Milton Calnek wrote:

> If it's not binding... whats the point?  I mean that as a web developer it's
> a great idea, as a surfer, I probably wouldn't read the page because there
> is no garentee that the publisher will follow what they claim is their policy.

It would be recommended as an encouragement for site maintainers to
develop and publicize their privacy policies.

By recommending it, it encourages developers and site admins to
develop a privacy policy. Possibly indexing robots could note sites
with a stated policy.

It's not intended to be non-binding at all. (The caveat about it
being ignored works the same way for trusting an on-line store with
your credit card numbers too.) Of course by ignoring a stated policy
someone might be legally liable, depending on the circumstances and
the jurisdiction.

Rob
---
Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl (wlkngowl@unix.asb.com)