Re: Mangled CSS

David Perrell (
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 13:50:40 -0700

From: "David Perrell" <>
To: "Chris Wilson (PSD)" <>,
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 13:50:40 -0700
Subject: Re: Mangled CSS

Chris Wilson wrote:
> Actually, Netscape Navigator 4.0 doesn't have this right.  The CSS
> states clearly in the 'border-style' section (5.5.17), under the
> 'double' style, "The sum of the two single lines and the space
> equals the <border-width> value."  Navigator "grows" the border-width
> they consider the border-width to be the width of EACH line, not the
> total.  The reason why you don't see a double border in your sample
> that 'thin', to us, means 2 pixels - obviously, you need at least
> pixels to show a double border.

Oops. Sorry. Wishful thinking, I guess. I want to find something nice
to say about NN.

The spec makes sense. Otherwise, there would have to be a
'space-between-double' property for author control.

Will IE4 support individual control of four borders, and, if so, will
heavy borders of different colors abut diagonally?

       | |
       | |

David Perrell