Re: Euro currency sign

Chris Lilley (
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 15:07:36 +0100 (MET)

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 15:07:36 +0100 (MET)
From: Chris Lilley <>
To: Peter Flynn <>,,
Subject: Re: Euro currency sign

On Oct 26,  8:28pm, Peter Flynn wrote:
> Subject: Re: Euro currency sign

>    Ah, so you (and several others) have been discussing date representation
>    in machine-readable protocol specification, while I and several othrs were
>    talking about dates in human-readable text, hence the confusion.
> The point about using markup is surely that I can use <date
> value="2004-02-03" calendar="whatever">3. Feber 1997</date> in my
> Austrian Web pages and it can still be found by anyone searching for
> events happening that day (or whatever the application is), and given
> a target language and locale, any conversion process can trivially
> localize the dates as part of the automation of translation (whenever
> that arrives).

Yes, exactly, and your example shows very well the applicability of the
human-readable and machine-readable forms.

Chris Lilley, W3C                          [ ]
Graphics and Fonts Guy            The World Wide Web Consortium              INRIA,  Projet W3C                       2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93