Re: Euro currency sign

Peter Flynn (
26 Oct 1997 20:28:45 +0000 (GMT)

Date: 26 Oct 1997 20:28:45 +0000 (GMT)
From: Peter Flynn <>
Subject: Re: Euro currency sign

   > Well, we cannot have English/US names
   > as the standard of the internet. That's why we need 2004-02-03.

   Ah, so you (and several others) have been discussing date representation
   in machine-readable protocol specification, while I and several othrs were
   talking about dates in human-readable text, hence the confusion.

The point about using markup is surely that I can use <date
value="2004-02-03" calendar="whatever">3. Feber 1997</date> in my
Austrian Web pages and it can still be found by anyone searching for
events happening that day (or whatever the application is), and given
a target language and locale, any conversion process can trivially
localize the dates as part of the automation of translation (whenever
that arrives).