Re: Euro

John Wilcock wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 1997 05:48:43 -0700 (PDT), Misha Wolf wrote:
> >The current tally is:
> >
> >   Unicode-capable browsers : at least 4 (*)
> >   Latin-0-capable browsers : 0
> >
> >   * NC 4.0, IE 4.0, Alis's Tango, Accent's Multilingual Mosaic
> >
> >Are you suggesting this ratio will, somehow, be reversed?
>
> It may be, at least in the short term, since Latin-0 has the advantage
> (in terms of ease of implementation) of being an *8-bit* character
> set.
>
> Do you have a count for the number of browsers which can display 8-bit
> ISO-8859-x encodings (where x <> 1), but not multi-octet encodings?
> [I don't, but I expect that there are many]

I didn't bother responding to the person whose reply started with the
sentence: "Rubbish."  I will respond, briefly, to your mail.

It depends what you mean by "can display".  I work for a commercial
organisation.  Our clients use browsers for a living (as well as for fun).
They don't have the time to mess about with trick fonts or to try each
entry on the browsers Encoding menu in order to read the page before them.
The latest HTTP and HTML specs make it clear that browsers should be
informed, via HTTP or HTTP-EQUIV, of the charset of the page being served
up.  I listed four browsers which: (1) correctly interpret such
instructions, and (2) understand Unicode.  To my knowledge, none of them
understand the charset "ISO-8859-0".  If you know of one, please say so.

  Misha Wolf            Email: misha.wolf@reuters.com     85 Fleet Street
  Standards Manager     Voice: +44 171 542 6722           London EC4P 4AJ
  Reuters Limited       Fax  : +44 171 542 8314           UK
12th International Unicode Conference, 8-9 Apr 1998, Tokyo, www.unicode.org
   7th World Wide Web Conference, 14-18 Apr 1998, Brisbane, www7.conf.au

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
Reuters Ltd.