Re: Directory Trees (fwd)

MegaZone (
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 14:44:04 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 14:44:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: MegaZone <>
Subject: Re: Directory Trees (fwd)

Once upon a time Paul Prescod shaped the electrons to say...
>Recognize? Probably. Mandate its use? In competition to VBScript? Maybe

Microsoft is backing ECMAScript - in fact they claim IE 4.0 is compliant
which makes them the first vendor to be so.

>First, I didn't say that it should be part of HTML. It should be part of
>CSS and XSL.

That's different - XSL relies upon scripting.  ECMAScript actually.  So
how are we saying anythign different?

I don't think it will ever be part of CSS - unless you add scripting, but
that still isn't part of CSS.

>NOT have programming code sprinkled among each of the articles. They
>choose a certain set of interactive features and build them into their
>"style language".

I consider XSL to have programatic syntax, as does DSSSL.

>collapsible list is a widely used formatting semantic that should be
>available everywhere to everyone, whether they want to use JavaScript or

I disagree.  If you want collapsing lists someone else will want tab
indexing, someone else will want reordering, and so it goes.  I am looking
at the big picture, there is more to this than one feature.

It is better to develop a *system* that can be tailored by the users to
what they need than to implement features one by one.

Phone: 800-458-9966 510-737-2100 FAX: 510-737-2110
For support requests:  <>
Snail mail: 4464 Willow Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588