Re: Euro - re-statement

Tim Bagot (timothy.bagot@keble.oxford.ac.uk)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 16:57:23 +0100 (BST)

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 16:57:23 +0100 (BST)
From: Tim Bagot <timothy.bagot@keble.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject: RE: Euro - re-statement

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Carrasco Benitez Manuel wrote:

> > I wish, however, that you had targeted the currency symbol rather than
> > the vertical bar for replacement; the idea that a currency symbol
> > without
> > specifying which currency it refers to had any value whatsoever is
> > even less realistic than the idea of modifying ASCII to fit the Euro.
> > I would rather prefer is all the system run from today in Unicode.
> > But as much as we dislike it, 7 bits system will be here in ten years
> > and not taking a decition on the euro is worst.

I agree that the universal currency symbol is much less useful than the
vertical bar. I do not believe that it is necessary to put the symbol in
the 7-bit character set - the pound sign, for instance, is found only in
the 8-bit set, along with a lot of accented letters, which are much
more important to the Europeans than the Euro symbol, which can if
necessary just be replaced by the letter E without confusion.

Tim Bagot