Re: Euro - re-statement

Chris Maden (crism@ora.com)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:56:14 -0400

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:56:14 -0400
From: Chris Maden <crism@ora.com>
To: manuel.carrasco@emea.eudra.org
CC: www-international@w3.org, www-html@w3.org, unicode@unicode.org,
Subject: Re: Euro - re-statement

> 2) 7 and 8 bits
>
> First, one has to agree on:
>
>  - The euro is not necessary in 7 and/or 8 bits.
>  - The euro is necessary in 7 and/or 8 bits.
>
> If one agrees that the euro is necessary in
> 7 and/or 8 bits, one needs to *define* (thanks
> Larry) a new character set.
>
> If one goes for the range 128-255, this will not
> cover that 7 bits and again no euro or another
> position is needed in the range 0-127.  Hence,
> to cover boths just go for the range 0-127.
>
> So two new character sets are proposed:
>
>  - 7 bits : euro-ASCII (or ESCII)
>  The same as ASCII but with the replacement
>  of "|" (007C) for the euro.
>
>  - 8 bits : euro-Latin1
>  The same as Latin1 (ISO 8859-1), but with the
>  replacement of "|" (007C) for the euro.

As a non-European, you can take this with a grain of salt.  However:
is any self-respecting European IT application really using seven
bits?  I think that e-acute and u-umlaut are more important to
Europeans than the Euro symbol.  More importantly, I think you're
unaware of the importance of the pipe character to existing IT
applications.  You find the strange mnemonic that ECU-ECU means
"logical or", while a single ECU means "bitwise or".  And you will
hear European UNIX users say, "ECU the grep results through sed."

Redefine the generic currency symbol instead.  As far as I can tell,
its primary use is the end-of-table-cell marker in MS Word; is anyone
actually using it for currency?  I *think* it was intended as a
placeholder for local currencies anyway.

And as the world moves towards full Unicode support, local 8-bit
character sets will become less necessary except as encodings of
Unicode.  If the ECU is properly defined in Unicode, it's probably not
even necessary to define a new 8-bit character set.

> 3) HTML
>
> A new entity
>  &euro;

Nice, but unnecessary, since one can use &#8352; in HTML now, and will
be able to use &#X20a0; in XML and define named entities on a per-
document basis.

-Chris