Re: Question on DFN

Hakon Lie (howcome@w3.org)
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 19:30:54 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 19:30:54 +0200 (MET DST)
To: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Question on DFN

David,

 > >  LI { display: inline }
 >=20
 > But then, what happens to the bullets/numbering? The relevant proper=
ties
 > only apply to display type list-item. By declaring LI to be inline, =
bullets
 > and numbering no longer apply

True.

 >  and the element becomes functionally
 > equivalent to SPAN.

No. It becomes presentationally eqivelent to SPAN, but structurally it
remains a list.

Having a way to generate content through a style sheet would make it
possible to change the presentation as well. E.g.:

  LI {=20
    display: inline
    before: "[";
    after: "]"
  }

This didn't make it into CSS1 but is still on our lists, so to say.

Regards,

-h&kon

H   =E5   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria =A7=B0=FE#=A1=AA FRANCE http://www.w3.org/people/howcome