Re: Question on DFN

Hakon Lie (
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 19:30:54 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 19:30:54 +0200 (MET DST)
To: "David Perrell" <>
Cc: <>
From: Hakon Lie <>
Subject: Re: Question on DFN

 > >  LI { display: inline }
 > But then, what happens to the bullets/numbering? The relevant proper=
 > only apply to display type list-item. By declaring LI to be inline, =
 > and numbering no longer apply

 >  and the element becomes functionally
 > equivalent to SPAN.

No. It becomes presentationally eqivelent to SPAN, but structurally it
remains a list.

Having a way to generate content through a style sheet would make it
possible to change the presentation as well. E.g.:

  LI {=20
    display: inline
    before: "[";
    after: "]"

This didn't make it into CSS1 but is still on our lists, so to say.

H   =E5   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria =A7=B0=FE#=A1=AA FRANCE