Date/time on the Internet

Misha Wolf (
Sat, 31 May 1997 19:18:53 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 19:18:53 +0000 (GMT)
From: Misha Wolf <>
Subject: Date/time on the Internet
To: www-html <>, HTTP WG <>,
        meta2 <>, dsig collect <>,

[Apologies for cross-posting]

I'm trying to locate, or failing that establish, a sensible place to discuss
issues around date/time on the Internet.  There seems to be consensus around
a movement towards some profile or quasi-profile of ISO 8601, but different
communities are taking different approaches and this may cause trouble later.

PICS appears to be using a quasi-profile of ISO 8601, by which I mean a
non-conforming profile.  Note that I have no view either way on this, but am
stating it for the sake of clarity.

Chris Newman, in "Date and Time on the Internet" (draft-newman-datetime-01.txt)
is defining a conforming profile of ISO 8601.

If you can suggest an appropriate mailing list and provide joining instructions,
please do so.