Use of LANG (Was: Re: relevance of SCHEME in metadata for education in Australia)

Bruno Kestemont wrote:

> I completely aggree. Both language and scheme are important for
> international, national or regional and even multilingual cataloguing.
> For language, I would use ISO-2 characters as default, but other shemes are
> possible within the Language entity.
>
> Example of use of scheme and language:

> content="environnement, transport, politique">

I suggest a few small changes:

  Example of use of scheme, lang and language:
                          ^^^^^^
                                               ^^^^
                                       ^
Note that the last of these changes (the replacement of space with hyphen)
is in line with RFC 1766, Tags for the Identification of Languages.

> In this example, used for environmental purposes or distributed 'intranets',
> GEMET is the General European Multilingual Environmental Thesaurus. The use
> of the language property avoid to repeat the indexing in other languages
> equivalents and allow the indexing by the owner in his own language (and the
> language of his readers).
> The 3 tags for DC.language are alternates, the 2 last beeing the standard
> default (the use of English would be ambiguous for several languages, in
> this case, French from France).
>
> Bruno Kestemont

> Center for Economic and Social           private address (consultant):
> Studies on the Environment               72 rue Louis Delhove
> CP124 Universite Libre de Bruxelles      B-1083 Brussels
> Avenue Jeanne 44
> B-1050 Brussels
> Tel +32-2-650 35 88  (Mo, We, Th, Fr)    Tel:+32-2-426 93 19 (Tu)
> Fax +32-2-650 46 91                      fax:+32-2-425 06 57
> http://www.ulb.ac.be/ceese

Misha

===