problems with frames

Dataweaver (
Wed, 21 May 1997 14:30:19 +0007

From: "Dataweaver" <>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 14:30:19 +0007
Subject: problems with frames

I would like to suggest a few improvements on frame implementation:

1. It would be useful to have a TARGET attribute in a FRAME tag; the effect
   would be similar to having a <BASE TARGET=url> in every html document loaded
   into that frame.

2. I would like to see a method of overriding the initial frame contents in the
   URL; as an example:

   <!-- frameset.html -->
      <FRAME NAME="frame1" SRC="src1.html">
      <FRAME NAME="frame2" SRC="src2.html">

So I could view the document as-is using:

Or I could load the frame with src3.html loaded into frame2 using something
along the lines of:

Or I could load src3.html into frame2 and src4.html into frame1:

On a somewhat-related note, I'd suggest allowing simple arithmetic (addition
and subtraction would probably suffice) in WIDTH and HEIGHT attributes; for

   "Dataweaver",    | The Dogma of Otherness insists
  "BTfL",   | that all voices deserve a hearing,   | that all points of view have
Web: | something of value to offer.
Archive: | --David Brin, "Otherness"