Re: The 'state of the browsers' report

On Tue 13 May, Benjamin Franz wrote:
> NS and MSIE's 'support' for OBJECT is downright discouraging - not only
> have NO improvements in the handling of OBJECT been made since their 3.x
> releases, MSIE has arguably *lost* some ground. NS remains blissfully (and
> harmlessly) unaware of OBJECT

This isn't quite true I believe. Netscape do actually advertise support for
OBJECT in 4.0. I haven't tried it with Java or Shockwave but I did try it
with a jpeg image. The results were not encouraging as for each OBJECT it
brought up an modal error box saying that there was no component installed
to handle the type image/jpeg.

Bringing up that kind of error whilst rendering a page would seem to me
to be the worst possible response, short of crashing. This was the
first Communicator alpha so maybe it's fixed by now.

I'm not sure whether this should bring their mark up or down...

Simon.
--
Simon Middleton, Senior Software Engineer          Tel: +44 (0) 1223 725576
Acorn Technologies and Engineering Division        WWW: http://www.acorn.co.uk/